Wednesday 13 July 2016

10 years a Headhunter.... What next?


April the 1st I realised I celebrated 10 years a headhunter.
The realisation crept up on me on a drive to a team meeting and I got to reflecting.... for about 5 seconds... "Stop that Martin", I said to myself, "that's VERY dangerous territory - that's what people do when they're at the end of something". At 60, there's a risk I could look at 'slowing down' and that introduces an acceptance of slow, dull, decline and fretting about the price of lawn mowers.
I shuddered.
So I got to thinking....
What if I had to start fresh again? What would I do?
A number of things happened during the day that weaved themselves into a thread that pointed the way ahead:
  • I received a new DISC (psychometric assessment). It hasn't changed in 10 years (I also did one when I started as a Headhunter). Apparently I am a DI - Dominant and Influential.
  • I had some serious IT issues and shouted at an IT bloke who screwed up. He told me "everything will be alright" before he started his work, and against my better judgement I gave him some unearned trust, and he let me down. Very badly.  I should have trusted my instincts.
  • I read a post on LinkedIn promoting happiness. The author, apparently,"brings harmony in your life". She wrote "Stand in front of a mirror and declare out loud “I AM HAPPY” a few times over. I guarantee you will feel daft to start with and you will laugh, which is good". - No. I won't feel daft, nor will I laugh. I will just be late for my breakfast.
And do I want to be 'happy' and 'contented' and in 'harmony'?.....
NO.
I don't want to miserable either. And miserable is accepting things as they are.
There's a massive industry of people promoting calm, peace, happiness and how to chill. But I've never come across anybody to promote the benefits of conflict, edge, vibrancy and contradiction.
I smell a niche and an opportunity....
Harmony is overrated
Let's face it, harmony is dull. Harmony brings an acceptance of what is, rather than a drive to make things better. Harmony is a life of everybody grinning at each other from their armchairs while we all watch Country File.
NO!.... NO!.... NO!....
Get off your arse and do something!
NOW!
Martin Ellis - Edge Consultant
OK. So I may need to work on the title, but I'm not hanging around making sure everything's perfect before I launch. If I were to find myself at a loose end I need a plan:
  • I am a high DI (Dominance, Influence) so I should use that.
  • That IT bloke I should never have let into my system, but having done so, I felt much happier having shouted at him. More people should understand that pleasure - and we'd also be much harder on people who deliver services 'cos they need it - just look at the recruitment industry in general...
  • And harmony is dull and nice. And bland. If it were music it would be The Girl from Ipanema.
If that's your bag, just don't do it around me. Weld your radio tuner permanently to Radio 2, stay indoors and buy your food and hot chocolate online. Paint your walls beige. Mow your grass and read the Daily Mail and Tut a lot. Tutting is important. So is saying "disgraceful" a lot. Stay out of my way. You won't like me and I don't care.
If you've never shouted at the IT guy and enjoyed the rush of endorphins, please call. If want you want to wallow the secret pleasure to be had from challenging the status quo, then I'm your man. If you want to be that person who asks the simple questions nobody else has the balls to ask, I'm here to serve.
I won't make you happy. But I will give you a sense of purpose. You will get life back into your life ("Get Life back into your Life" - Might use that. Good strap line)
Second Thoughts...
Perhaps I should stay a Headhunter. It brings a set of challenges from clients and candidates (and technology!) I thoroughly enjoy. Seeing a job through from start to finish is hugely rewarding. I sometimes wish shit didn't happen, but when it does, I get a real sense of satisfaction digging myself out.
Here's to the next 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment