Wednesday 13 July 2016

Have you called your Headhunter today?


I am a Headhunter. No, not the dangerous kind who collects their enemies as trophies, but rather the kind who is hired by an organization to seek out the best talent that the market has to offer. Aside from a growing company adding to their team or because someone resigned/retired, I receive calls to assist with a confidential strategic upgrade, meaning someone is under-performing, and my client needs a very private solution to this problem. (This is probably the only time in my life where I will ever feel like anything close to a Secret Agent.)

I like to think of myself as a problem solver. The one with the solution. The one who is here to make everyone’s life a bit easier- at least within the place where they spend 75% of their day. Not only do I find the solution for my client who is in need, but I find a solution to whatever pain my candidates are experiencing in their current position. Whether that pain is a boss they don’t enjoy working for, an unstable organization, or not enough runway to take their career where they want to - it’s all pain. It’s all a valid reason to be open to hearing about what and who is out there in your market.

I’ve discovered that not enough professionals grasp just how valuable a relationship with a good Headhunter can be for them. If I had a dollar for every time a candidate replied to my request to have a conversation about their career with, “Thanks, but I am not interested in anything new right now”, I would be somewhat rich and probably sitting on a warm beach somewhere. Well, I do live on the beach here in Tampa, but I digress. The best time to speak with someone like me, is NOT when you really need me, or you are aggressively in search of making a career move. This leads to the possibility of accepting a position because you have to, not because it’s the best for you in the long run.

The same goes for someone who is in a capacity to be a hiring authority. Make sure you have a relationship with someone like me before you have the need to hire. You know the thing people say about not going to the grocery store when you’re already starving? Nothing good happens there. I could draw some clever connection here to having a relationship with a Headhunter before you really need them, but you understand where I am going with this.
We are best utilized as your eyes and ears on the market. As a candidate, when we have a good understanding of what you want to do with your career, what kind of company you envision yourself working for, and what the perfect role looks like that is so tempting that the offer would be one you couldn’t refuse- this is when we become your best ally. Whether you are a Staff Accountant, and just starting your career, or you are a VP of Finance at a Fortune 500 company- a good recruiter wants to know you and what makes you "tick". 

On the other side of the coin, as a hiring manager, when I know the profile of what an A+ candidate looks like to you- this is when I, your headhunter, become your best ally in today’s job market, and not the stone in your shoe who bothers you with candidates that you won’t care about.

While I do have several clients and candidates that I call just to say hi, or talk about how sunny it is here in Tampa versus the 31 degree temps that they are experiencing in some snow-ridden state- I want the people in my network to feel that when I call, they have to answer. That they cannot afford to miss my call, and that I have something or someone that they absolutely need to hear about.
With all this being said, call me. Email me. Send me a Linkedin message. I would actually love a singing telegram, but I am not sure if anyone does that anymore. Let’s have a conversation about what it is you want, and how it is I can help.
Jenn Bellso
Senior Executive Headhunter 
Lucas Group- Tampa Accounting and Finance
jbellso@lucasgroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment